Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ready, Set, Write!

I'm trying to enter at least 2 blogs per week, and already I'm failing. I'd probably be fine if I wasn't so afraid of posting lameness. But, alas, lameness is just a part of my everyday life, so I guess I should just get over it. ;)
Some amazing things are happening with my band, Phoenix Drive, and I've been super busy juggling that and the kids going back to school. You'd think I'd be flowing with interesting things to post about, but somehow, being busy makes my head innards a bunch of jumbly-wumbly, and when I sit down to write/type, it's just meesh-moosh coming out.

So, my blog is just one extension of the writing work I'm making myself do. Phoenix Drive is in the middle of songwriting with some amazing and award-winning songwriters in Nashville, and it's been a blast. But, songwriting with big-hitters is forcing me to get over some of my writing crutches and insecurities, not to mention shooing away the feelings of inferiority ("I can do this. I can do this. I'm a good songwriter, too, dang it."). Already we've had two successful co-writes with two different songwriter powerhouses, and we've got another major one in a couple of weeks. Heck yezzle. Exciting stuff!"
Sam Tate is our main man right now. We are immensely blessed that he's taken such a strong liking to us, helping us out by writing with us, giving us permission to record some of his songs, and just being our cheerleader and "foot-in" to the industry on all accounts. If you're familiar with country music then you'll know many of the songs he's had a hand in: "Somebody" by Reba McEntire, "Moments" by Emerson Drive, "If You're Going Through Hell" by Rodney Atkins... just to name a few. Country music writing is a bit different then what I default to. I've practiced more of the abstract, emotional based, pop style of writing, so now I'm studying up on great country songs. Let me tell you, writing a great country song is a lot harder then you'd think. The clever story-telling conversational style of writing is not one that I've done much, so this is a new challenge for me. I'm enjoying it, though. I like being pushed in new areas. It only makes you better and stronger as a whole. Blah, blah, blah....!


3 comments:

  1. How exciting! Can't wait to hear your new tunes! And P.S. you're not a "good" songwriter, you're an AMAZING songwriter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, Thanks, Gen!!! I feel the same way about you and your art! :)

    ReplyDelete